Our Physical Therapy Blog
Posts for: July, 2018
Are you experience dizziness? Are you struggling to find the right health care professional? The physical therapists at Somerset, KY, can help you. They provide vestibular rehabilitation, which focuses on eliminating balance problems.
Someone can maintain their balance if they're able to stay upright and steady. People with balance issues may have difficulty moving, and determining direction and speed. Many factors cause balance problems, especially older individuals.
Here are some factors to take into consideration:
- Being age 65, or older, and a history of falling
- Pre-existing conditions, like a stroke, Parkinson's Disease, or Multiple Sclerosis
- Vertigo, dizziness and unsteadiness
Balance problems may arise from the following:
- Vestibular (Inner Ear): Vestibular disorders include vertigo and dizziness.
- Somatosensory (Feet, Ankles and Joints): Somatosensory refers to the nerves that have difficulty communicating information to the brain.
- Vision (Eyes): Your visual system may have difficulty sending information to the brain about body orientation in relation to surroundings.
Note that somatosensory and vision problems need your Somerset doctor's Fall Prevention/Balance Program, which includes:
- FallTrak computerized balance training
- Flexibility exercises
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Gait training exercises
- Postrography exercises
- Balance exercises
- Strengthening exercises
Home Safety includes:
- Patient education
- Home exercises
- Home safety features and assistive devices, like a clutter-free environment, canes and/or walkers
Your Somerset physical therapist will evaluate your condition and create a custom program that includes:
- strengthen weakened muscles, particularly in the ankle, knee, and hips
- regain lost range of motion
- improve posture, upright stability, and movement
- increase flexibility
The initial evaluation will last approximately 45 minutes to an hour and will evaluate the following:
- Review of medical history/symptom evaluation
- Musculoskeletal/functional mobility evaluation
- Vestibular screen
- FallTrak computerized balance screen to establish Limits of Stability (LOS)
- Videonystagmography (VNG) with Frenzel goggles
- Functional balance/reach evaluation
For more information about balance issues and therapy, call your physical therapist in Somerset, KY, at (606) 678-5708.