Our Physical Therapy Blog
Posts for tag: Arthritis Care
How your physical therapist in Somerset, Kentucky can help you get relief from arthritis
Arthritis is a common medical problem, especially as you get older. As time goes by, everyday wear-and-tear sneaks up on you, damaging your joints over time. The swelling and inflammation in your joints can decrease mobility, making it difficult to move without pain.
The good news is, your physical therapist can help you get relief from arthritis, increase your range-of-motion, and enhance your quality of life. physical therapist David Escobar at Cumberland Physical Therapy & Rehab in Somerset, Kentucky offers several effective therapies to help you and your body feel better.
There are several types of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis, which results from wear-and-tear, generally affecting older people
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease and can affect people of any age
- Psoriatic arthritis, which causes a buildup of uric acid crystals due to the underlying disease
All types of arthritis cause inflammation, joint swelling, and pain. Physical therapy treatments are designed to help decrease swelling, increase flexibility, and decrease pain. Some of the most common physical therapy treatments for arthritis include:
- Physical therapy stretches and exercises, to strengthen joints, increase range-of-motion, and decrease pain
- Occupational therapy, to minimize work-related stress and damage on joints
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation or TENS, using small electrical pulses to target specific painful areas
- Therapeutic massage, to increase circulation and reduce joint pain
- Thermal therapies, including ice packs or moist heat to relax joints, reduce swelling, and decrease pain
One of the most effective ways to treat the effects of arthritis is through patient education. At Cumberland Physical Therapy & Rehab, physical therapist Escobar offers a comprehensive arthritis care program that includes treatment and education to give you the most effective, long-term arthritis pain management, so you can live a healthy, productive life, with less pain.
To find out more about arthritis care, talk with an expert. Call physical therapist David Escobar at Cumberland Physical Therapy & Rehab in Somerset, Kentucky today!