Rehabilitation Center: What To Expect
Are everyday habits and activities becoming more and more challenging to complete due to musculoskeletal, neurological or heart-related conditions? If so, it may be time to consider turning to a qualified physical therapist who can provide you with a comprehensive and tailored treatment plan to improve mobility and to make day-to-day life a whole lot easier. Here’s what to expect when you come into our office for rehabilitation.
What are the goals of rehab?
Rehab is an overarching term, with physical therapy being just one component that includes,
- Re-learning certain mobility or speech skills after a serious injury (e.g. car accident) or health problem (e.g. stroke)
- Re-strengthening the body after an accident (whether work or non-work related)
- Providing new ways to move and perform daily activities without pain or discomfort
Who can benefit from rehabilitation?
There are a variety of conditions and injuries that may respond amazingly well to regular physical therapy and rehabilitation. These problems include,
- Back and neck pain
- Rotatory cuff injuries
- Sports-related injuries (e.g. tennis elbow; head injury)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trigger finger
- Spinal cord injuries
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Development delays (in children)
What should I expect when I come into the office?
If this is your first-time meeting with one of our physical therapists, we will need to perform a comprehensive evaluation that will include,
- Going through your detailed medical history
- Asking questions and gaining information about your injury, condition or symptoms you are experiencing
- Evaluating your movement and posture and performing an in-depth physical examination
- Providing a diagnosis and a long-term treatment plan
- Offer advice and helpful strategies to make a patient’s daily routine easier
- Recommend certain lifestyle changes and alternative therapies that could also improve symptoms
Why should I consider physical therapy and rehabilitation?
There are many reasons why people turn to us for routine therapy and care. Some of the benefits of regular physical therapy and rehab include,
- A reduction in pain and swelling
- Improved mobility and range of motion
- Reducing your dependency on pain medications
- Preventing the need for surgery
- Improving balance and preventing falls
- Speeding up and enhancing the recovery process in those with injuries
We treat patients of all ages, from kids to seniors, and we work with people from all different professions and backgrounds, from desk warriors and retirees to professional athletes. We offer a wide range of rehabilitation and physical therapy services and modalities including,
- Dry needling
- Electrical stimulation
- Joint mobilization
- Manual therapy (various techniques)
- TENS unit
- Ice therapy