What to Expect
During your first visit, you will be evaluated by a physical therapist who has been specially trained and certified in balance disorders. Your initial evaluation will last about 45 minutes to an hour. There are no restrictions in terms of medication or caffeine, unless instructed by your doctor, prior to the initial evaluation.
- Review of medical history/symptom evaluation
- Musculoskeletal/functional mobility evaluation
- Vestibular screen
The evaluation may include:
- FallTrak computerized balance screen to establish Limits of Stability (LOS)
- Videonystagmography (VNG) with Frenzel goggles
- Functional balance/reach evaluation
After the evaluation, an individualized treatment plan is developed specifically for you.
- Review of Medical History & Symptom Evaluation
The physical therapist will take a thorough history of your symptoms and other pertinent medical history to help identify what provokes your symptoms and how often they occur.
- Musculoskeletal Functional Mobility Evaluation
The therapist will evaluate you in the following areas:StrengthFlexibilityPostureWalking quality and safety
- Vestibular Screen
Diagnosing vestibular disorders relies on a combination of tests and careful inspection of the patient’s history. The therapist will complete a physical examination to rule out any other causes for your symptoms.
Frenzel Goggles, used for treating BPPV
FallTrak computerized balance screen, used to determine Limits of Stability